Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Dark Chocolate Mousse with Grand Marnier
I like this Chocolate Mousse Recipe because it is dense and rich - some might find it a bit too rich. There are no egg whites so it doesn't have the characteristic fluffiness of classic chocolate mousse - more of a dense, soft fudge texture like a chocolate dessert.
The more cocoa solids in the chocolate you use, the less sweet the mousse will be - the recipe doesn't call for sugar so if you prefer a sweeter mousse then use a sweeter dark chocolate. The Grand Marnier does add a gourmet touch but you could also use a strong coffee (liquid) like espresso or milk instead of the alcohol. It goes very well with after-dinner liquer
Chocolate Mousse Recipe Ingredients: - Serves: 6
- 140g good-quality dark chocolate (bitter-sweet)
- 2 Tbs Grand Marnier or substitute with whatever you prefer (milk, coffee etc.)
- 4 free-range egg yolks
- 1 cup (250ml) cream, whipped into soft peaks
- 4 Tbs dark cocoa, sifted
How To Make Chocolate Mousse
- Melt the chocolate and Grand Marnier (or substitute) in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. If you have a double-boiler then that is ideal. Be careful not to burn the chocolate.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the egg yolks to the chocolate, one at a time, stirring each one well into the chocolate mixture before adding the next. Don't panic if the chocolate begins to stiffen, it will soon become smooth again.
- When you have added all the yolks, take the chocolate mixture off the heat and leave it to cool a little - to about body temperature.
- Fold half the whipped cream into the chocolate then add the cocoa. Fold the cocoa into the chocolate and then lightly fold in the remaining cream.
- Pour the mixture into a serving bowl or small ramekins and leave it in the fridge for several hours to chill. Serve with the icecream or whipped cream. I am particularly fond of pairing it with black cherry preserve - it reminds me of black forest cake.
More Chocolate Mousse Recipes
Instant Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Recipe for Egg-Free Instant Chocolate Mousse
Recipe for Minty White Chocolate Mousse
Berries and Chocolate Mousse
Try this egg-free Light Chocolate Pudding Recipe
Top Of This Grand Marnier Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Back to Inspired Chocolates Homepage